Powered by Blogger

Family Ties
Kim Tae-yong, 2007
Korea
@ Cinema Village (New York Korean Film Festival)

I was shocked by how little I enjoyed this one. It won all kinds of awards and played a ton of festivals. There was a lot of laughter among the Koreans in the audience that I really couldn't understand all that well, so I have to assume that I missed out on some part of the movie culturally or linguistically. That said, I suppose I'm not as into really overwrought performances as the people who hand out acting awards or many types of critics. Perhaps it just seemed like we didn't really spend enough time with any of the characters to really care about their problems as much as we were clearly expected to. The film ties together various dysfunctional family groups over the course of a couple of decades. The families are all humorless and masochistic.

See also: Koreanfilm.org

Labels: , , ,

Watched on 8/26/2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home