Powered by Blogger

No Country for Old Men ***
Joel & Ethan Coen, 2007
US
@ Clearview Chelsea

Given the overwhelming positive critical consensus here (consider me at least as enthusiastic about it as anyone), I'm waiting for the backlash, though I doubt Jonathan Rosenbaum's rant is one that many people will latch onto. I'm probably closer to sharing his views on violence/killers onscreen than 95% of the audience, and even I think he's quite a bit off.

Sometimes when I'm watching a movie like this, I fantasize about my ideal contemporary Western. It's written and directed by Richard Linklater, starring Matthew McConaughey, Ethan Hawke, Ben & Casey Affleck, Billy Bob Thornton, Woody Harrelson, Tommy Lee Jones & Kris Kristofferson. Perhaps Philip Seymour Hoffman? Maybe Robert Rodriguez stops by to direct the more physical sequences. It could be like a Thin Red Line type of thing, except all dialogue would be voiced by a character placed within the setting of the film rather than voiceover. It'd be nice to do a kind of heavily symbolic thing about the state of the US or civilization, but it's also terribly important that it not move too fast or fiercely, so that might be tough. Jim James and/or M. Ward could do the score. It would be in color. I'm torn between the traditional post-Civil War period and something more like The Last Picture Show, particularly as it would impact the presence of something like a jukebox, or country/western songs on the soundtrack.

See also: IMDb | Metacritic | Todd McCarthy review | Scott Foundas review

Labels: , , ,

Watched on 11/21/2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home