Powered by Blogger

2007 Analysis

Museum of the Moving Image announced that they'll be screening a number of the films included in the John Ford at Fox box set. I'll only probably catch a few of them, but I really hope someone programs something similar in Seattle this spring.

Ford comes in at the top of my most-watched list of directors for 2007, at about 7.5 since he co-directed Mister Roberts with Joshua Logan. Kiarostami follows with 6 and Johnnie To and Fritz Lang both have 5. I saw all the Kiarostami films at MoMA during a retrospective, and To and Lang at various venues, but none of them on DVD. (I already made some lists elsewhere.)

2007 was the most popular year at 57 films, with an average rating of 2.05 (min=0, max=3). This decade was also the most popular at 106 of the 202 titles I decided to include, rating 2.08. By far my favorite decade was the 1990s (14 films) with a rating of 2.21; this was mostly because of Asia. Least favorite were the 1930s at 1.82. Blame this one on the early sound films. 1932-1939 would rate a 2.50. I only watched six movies from the 1970s.

The overall average was 2.07 with 85 rated at three stars. 10 films got no stars.

Korea (11), Hong Kong (10), and then France (9) were my favorite countries of origin, though I only watched one current French movie this year, not so for the east Asian countries.

Fewer than 20% of these were seen at home. About a quarter happened at museums or other non-theatrical venues.

For some reason or other I watched 23 movies in March, probably boosted that high because I spent a lot of time at home (unemployed for two weeks) watching DVDs. In January I saw only 7 movies, mostly because I didn't have any money, knowledge of the city, and was mostly concerned with moving (twice).

I don't know if I'll get out to another 163 movies this year. I might spend more time reading and watching DVDs if I can get my hands on most of the stuff listed below. I do plan to at least make it to large portions of the Seattle and Vancouver film festivals.

DIRECTORS FOR 2008
  • Jia Zhang-ke
  • Tsai Ming-liang
  • Hou Hsiao-hsien
  • Hirokazu Koreeda
  • Carl Th. Dreyer
  • David Cronenberg
  • Hong Sang-soo
  • Alfonso Cuaron
  • Gus Van Sant
  • Todd Haynes
  • Ken Loach
  • Mike Leigh
  • Alain Resnais
  • Jane Campion
MOSTLY INDEPENDENT
  • The Newton Boys (Linklater)
  • SubUrbia (Linklater)
  • La Promesse (Dardenne)
  • Rosetta (Dardenne)
  • Ghost Dog (Jarmusch)
  • Night on Earth (Jarmusch)
  • Permanent Vacation (Jarmusch)
  • sex, lies and videotape (Soderbergh)
  • Battle in Heaven (Reygadas)
  • Keane (Kerrigan)
  • Clean, Shaven (Kerrigan)
  • To Sleep with Anger (Burnett)
MUMBLECORE (from the map)
  • Dear Pillow (Poyser)
  • Grammy's (Poyser)
  • The Pipe (Brown)
  • Baghead (Duplass)
  • Zellner vs. Duplass: Shorts
  • The Guatemalan Handshake (Rohal)
  • Fish Kill Flea (Cassidy, Hillis)
  • Silver Jew (Tully)
  • Dance Party, USA (Katz)
RECENT
  • The Lookout
  • Death Proof
  • Idiocracy
  • 28 Days Later
  • Marie Antoinette
  • Collateral
  • Inside Man
  • The Aura
  • Clerks 2
  • The Illusionist
  • Little Miss Sunshine
  • The Science of Sleep
  • The Queen
  • Good Night, and Good Luck
  • The Lives of Others
ASIA
  • The Virgin Stripped Bare By Her Bachelors (Hong)
  • I'm a Cyborg and That's OK (Park)
  • Secret Sunshine (Lee)
TV
  • Twin Peaks
  • Spaced (UK)
NOTES

Richard Linklater may by now have finished a documentary on University of Texas baseball coach Augie Garrido. Obviously this will be third in a trilogy already including Dazed & Confused and Bad News Bears.

Joe Swanberg, in addition to Season 3 of Young American Bodies, has another serial entitled Butterknife coming out on January 28.

I'm not entirely sure what is supposed to be coming out next year. The tiny list I know about is above at left.

Labels: ,

Watched on 1/01/2008

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home