Powered by Blogger

Anatomy of a Murder ***
Otto Preminger, 1959
US
@ Film Forum

I was kind of reminded of the critical conversation around Zodiac (see, for example, this year's version of Slate's Movie Club), that it pays very close attention to the details of the investigative process that sort of evaporates at the end. The climax here seems to really take place off-screen in the jury room while Paul Biegler and co. try to relax in his "law office."

I was also reminded of Fincher's film in the impressively large cast and, more impressive, how each tidbit was interesting and/or funny. I finally felt a little bored during the last few witness testimonies, but the film mostly steams forward for over 2.5 hours. The judge's early morning walk up to the courthouse was a noticeable break in the action.

The three films I've seen in this series have all had amazing scripts, and I may need to see a few more. I may try to catch Bunny Lake Is Missing or Advise & Consent, though mostly I'd like to see the Preminger/George Sanders double feature, since that sounds like a match made in heaven--Clifton Webb in Laura got me thinking about George Sanders' critic in All About Even, a role I adore (if that's an admissible verb in this case).

See also: TCMdb | Movie Club 2007 | Dave Kehr on Preminger | Film Forum page

Labels: , , ,

Watched on 1/05/2008

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home