Powered by Blogger

Cloverfield *
Matt Reeves, 2008
US
@ Kips Bay

My foremost thought was: wow, the shot count for this movie must be tremendously low. If we're lucky David Bordwell will confirm on his blog* that it's under one shot per minute, or something ridiculous like that. I found myself contorting in my seat, trying to see things not in the haphazardly composed frame. But then, I appreciate experiments like that (see particularly The Boss of It All) so that was okay.

Nathan Lee makes a good point of how easy it is to stay disconnected from the extremely shallow, boring characters, which I guess is nice since everyone comes to such a horrific end.

*Bordwell indeed discusses Cloverfield and notes: "I counted only about 180 shots, yielding an average of 24 seconds per shot (in a genre in which today’s films average 2-5 seconds per shot)."

See also: IMDb | Metacritic | Nathan Lee review | David Bordwell article

Labels: , , ,

Watched on 1/21/2008

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home