Powered by Blogger

Shakespeare in Love *
John Madden, 1998
UK/US
@ home on VHS

There were obviously some talented people working on this film, but it seems a bit hollow at the core. What reason do we have at any point in the film to sympathize and/or root for Shakespeare other than that he is Shakespeare and obviously is not appropriately recognized and commended for his genius? He doesn't really ingratiate himself all that much, and I would argue that there are at least three, maybe four, bigger "stars" on screen, inasmuch as I found my eye drawn to Gwyneth Paltrow, Judi Dench, and Ben Affleck much more than to Joseph Fiennes. (Tom Wilkinson gets the maybe.) I'm not much for the phrase "guilty pleasure," but I think this is pretty close.

See also: IMDb

Labels: , , , ,

Watched on 3/04/2008

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home