Powered by Blogger

Flight of the Red Balloon ***
Hou Hsiao-hsien, 2008
France
@ Crest Cinema

I enjoyed the reading of the painting at the end, both as a clue to the kid's interior life but also to our reading of the film. Some lady asked me as I left whether it had been a good movie, to which I replied yes, but it was clear that she wanted to know whether it was a good "movie" with a familiar narrative arc, clear resolution, etc. To which I had to say no, though I also tried to explain what it was that I thought made it good outside of that framework. The pacing, the choice of what to show or not, the misunderstandings between people who know each other both too well and not quite enough. The performances not in the service of some overdetermined goals or conflicts.

See also: IMDb | Metacritic

Labels: , , ,

Watched on 5/17/2008

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home