Powered by Blogger

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind **
Hayao Miyazaki, 1984
Japan
@ Northwest Film Forum

This was sort of weirdly silent (except for voices) near the beginning, though as the action picked up that got less noticeable. It seemed like the characters explained everything really explicitly, but maybe that's necessary in a kid's fantasy movie. It is kind of a complex story. Some of the images are haunting/thrilling, if not as technically impressive as the later stuff. Star Wars influence on a lot of the anachronistic design, maybe?

See also: IMDb

Labels: , , ,

Watched on 6/24/2008

1 Comments:

Blogger Max Greene said...

I just watched this for the first time and my responses, such as they are, are available at the above link.

In order to gather my thoughts, I consulted a paper I wrote 5 years ago for Prof. Tomonari's Japanese Cinema class, which brought back lovely memories of watching and rewatching My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, and Spirited Away. I can't recall which of those you've seen, but they're all worth watching.

I'm curious also whether you have any thoughts on Miyazaki's work as a whole.

June 27, 2008 at 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home